Local2Global: A Career Development Program for Queensland Resident Directors
Submissions are closed.
The Local2Global initiative aims to accelerate directors’ careers and bolster Queensland’s directorial capacity by giving them support in their career and skill development.
“We are tremendously excited to announce this important new Queensland initiative. Thanks to Screen Queensland, we are now able to deliver a best-in-class learning and development curriculum and placement program for Queensland directors, which we believe will deliver exceptional career outcomes for the participant practitioners and improved production opportunities for the state,” Alaric McAusland, Executive Director of ADG says.
This opportunity is open until 14 April 2022 and only eligible for emerging, early-career and mid-career directors of Queensland, allowing them to develop their skills and expand their knowledge through a targeted series of workshops and seminars.
Screen Queensland and ADG define emerging, early career and mid-career directors as:
- Emerging directors – Any persons demonstrating some screen industry knowledge, training, experience or interest, who have aspirations to direct.
- Early-career directors – Directors who may have two or three directing credits (in feature, shorts, online, brand, or music) and are looking to gain further knowledge about directing for a particular genre, platform or audience, and professional guidance.
- Mid-career directors – Directors who are currently working in the industry and are looking for further industry training and/or hoping to move into a different area of directing.
“These industry experts will share valuable insights and tips across feature films, television series and online content,” she says.
The program commences with two phases – The Pool Phase and the Candidate Phase.
The Pool Phase
The Pool Phase is an industry development opportunity through 9 online webinars that will focus on the platform, craft and best business practices, led by the established industry director mentors. Only 40 practitioners will be selected for this phase.
The 9 online webinars are as follows:
- Directing for Online TV Formats – Tackles the evolving sector of online formats and the subsequent expansion of the director skillset.
- Directing for TV Series/Serials – Covers the typical production scheduling for series and serials and success stories of the experienced and talented ADG members.
- Directing for Film – Focuses on the core skills the director must have regardless of production format or genre and the creative benefits to be gained under new budget models and expanded production scope.
- Career Planning for Directors – Best for the emerging and early career practitioners to establish their directing career.
- The Craft of Directing – An intensive drama workshop led by two established ADG directors.
- The Business of Directing – Everything you need to know about the director agreements, director rights, super and insurances.
- The Relationships of Directing – Examines the relationship between the people you work with, like directors and HODs, writers, editors and actors.
- How Attachments Work – Delves into the impact of Director’s Attachment and Shadow Directing placements on your career.
- Funding and Offsets – Explore the funding and offsets that directors need to know.
The Candidate Phase
10 early-career or mid-career directors will be selected within the Pool Phase to work with mentors to support them in their career transition and achieve their directing goals.
Successful candidates will receive the below:
- Individual Mentor – An ADG individual mentor will be assigned to each candidate and will provide three mentoring sessions.
- Tailored Career Plan – A personalised career plan created in collaboration with the candidate, ADG representative, and individual mentor.
- Genre Craft Workshop – A workshop for all candidates that focuses on popular streaming genres.
- Showcase – At the culmination of the program, each candidate will have the opportunity to present their work to Australian and US agents and studios through ADG and affiliates.
For more information, visit this page.
SHARE THIS POST
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Sign up and be a member today! Unlock promotional deals, Mentor advice, event invites, competition prizes, and showcase your work to the wider industry.
—— OR ——