Latest Batch of Australian Recipients Under Global Creatives Initiatives Bared
Twelve new recipients under the joint initiatives Talent Gateway and Global Producers Exchange have been named, Screen Australia and Australians in Film (AiF) recently announced. The latest batch will get the opportunity to advance their skills as well as give them an avenue to expand their network in the industry, particularly in North America.
© Jub Clerc, Gemma Bird Matheson, Julie Kalceff
Launched last year, this year’s edition of the Talent Gateway and Global Producers Exchange programs continues with its mission of providing established Australian creatives a platform to better leverage themselves in an evolving and competitive global market.
In separate statements, officials of both Screen Australia and AiF expressed their excitement over the latest development and threw their full support behind the new program recipients, highlighting how through the programs strategic alliances can be made, benefitting not only the individual creatives’ projects and careers but also the Australian creative industry in general.
Earning the nod under the 2002 Talent Gateway program, which aims to get valuable US support for Australian screenwriters and directors through investment and partnerships, are:
- Jub Clerc hails from Kimberley and has proven herself in shows either as a writer or director. She won an award in Melbourne and Toronto for her 2022 directorial debut feature film Sweet As.
- Gemma Bird Matheson, a screenwriter, actor, and producer whose original series 50 Shades of Black (girl) received Screen Australia Development funding.
- Brendan Fletcher, co-creator, writer, and director of AMC’s new vampire-hunter show Firebite and a documentarist.
- Julie Kalceff is an Emmy Award-winning writer and director whose film and TV credits include First Day (Seasons 1 and 2).
- Danny and Michael Philippou created the RackaRacka YouTube channel which now has over two billion views and over six million subscribers.
- Monica Zanetti, a screenwriter, and director, whose work Ellie And Abbie (& Ellie’s Dead Aunt) won the 2021 AACTA award for Best Independent Film.
Up for the six delegates under the program are various activities, which include roundtables, masterclasses, an audience with movers and shakers of US-based companies and mentorships. As per Screen Australia’s website, the program will run from November 2022 to June 2023.
Global Producers Exchange recipients
For the Global Producers Exchange recipients, who are among the leading Australian scripted producers, meanwhile, they are to be provided with a venue to get the skills, knowledge, access, and relationships needed in the current global market as well as to attract foreign investment and marketplace partnerships for Australian scripted content.
This year’s recipients are:
- Amplify (Michelle Melky and Tom Maynard) – widely known for improving youth content in the Asia-Pacific with noted collaborations with some of the most followed creators in Australia and Asia.
- Easy Tiger (Ian Collie and Rob Gibson) – an award-winning Australian production company whose credits include top-rating shows and series like The Twelve starring Sam Neill (Foxtel) and the ABC dramedy Rake starring Richard Roxburgh.
- Epic Films (Kirsty Stark) – known for creating entertaining relatable stories and has a long history of groundbreaking work.
- Ludo Studio (Charlie Aspinwall and Daley Pearson) – a multi-awarded Brisbane-based outfit which makes end-to-end original stories and boasts of talented creatives and producers.
- Magpie Pictures (Lois Randall and Ivy Mak) – makes content for both Australian and International audiences, with an eye for stories that appeal to the heart and have an authentic voice.
- Princess Pictures (Laura Waters and Mike Cowap) – produces shows that are rooted to Australian tastes and values but at the same time moves to touch new audiences with its sense of humor, fresh perspective and desire.
Screen Australia said the program will run from October 2022 to June 2023.
SHARE THIS POST
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Sign up and be a member today! Unlock promotional deals, Mentor advice, event invites, competition prizes, and showcase your work to the wider industry.
—— OR ——